Re: Why choose Debian?

>"Steve R. Hastings" wrote:
>  >I am interested in why people prefer Debian to other Linux
>  >distributions.  Please explain the top few reasons why you chose Debian
>  >rather than something else.

(This is also some kind of a rant, read at own risk, see below for
major points)

2.5 years ago I got a job as a network engineer and all of my
colleagues used two boxes, my boss explained it "windows for
compatibility, unix for productivity". One of the sysadmins set up a
linux box for me (not based on any distribution, but completely
handcrafted) and gradually as I learned more I started doing more and
more of my work with it.

Package management being an unknown issue on the box I had a *very*
steep learning curve, but after some near-disasters (mostly involving
libc-upgrades) I thought about the package-management issue and
installed SuSe on my home machine. After one or two weeks I stumbled
across the Debian website, read about the DFSG and immediately liked it.

Administering the SuSe box was a nightmare anyway, so I nuked it and
installed Debian (slink). Some weeks later I installed Debian on my
private webserver and another few weeks after on my workstation, too.

In the meantime I´m the primary helpline for some new colleagues and
urge them to install Debian, but some simply like the colorful SuSe
approach and install SuSe and/or Redhat anyway, so I have to cope with
them, too. But Debian is clearly my favourite choice:
- Clear software guideline, DFSG, but with a practical approach, see
  the non-free/non-US sections
- Superior package-management, heck, even libc-upgrades working
  flawlessly
- very strict filesystem-layout and
- also strict setup of the init-scripts and config-files in /etc
- (nearly) instant security updates via security.debian.org, this is
  *very* convenient for production machines. Not a single exploit
  exploited in 1.5 years now <crossing fingers> ;)
- active and helpful mailing lists, even for rather mysterious and/or
  exotic problems
- I can see the Hurd on the horizon, not approaching very fast, but
  steadily
- not depending on rather magical tools like SuSeconfig and
- never ever messing around with my config files without asking first
  and even then backing up the old version
- clear and funtional bug-reporting system
- intelligent policy regarding stable (,testing) and unstable releases
  with the option to run unstable packages on otherwise stable systems
- small-footprint systems hasslefree possible, install base and apt-get
  only what you really need

just my 2 (EUR-) cents,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /