Re: Why choose Debian?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 07:11:04PM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   3) The elegant boot scripts.
>
>   Red Hat hides init.d in /etc/rc.d. It also doesn't seem to provide a
>   full set of scripts in init.d either. There are a few other details
>   in this realm, but I'm forgetting them now.

indeed, also debian initscripts are self contained, you can read them
like a shell script and actually know what they are doing.  most
redhat scripts are made up almost entirely of non standard shell
functions aquired in the script by sourcing some file elsewhere, that
file often sources other files and so on.  you have to run all over
the system piecing this tangled mess together just to understand
exactly what an initscript is doing.  makes debugging a nightmare....
redhat's network startup/configuration is equally obfuscated.

aside from debian's packaging system the non-obfuscated nature of
debian system configuration is what i like the most.  its designed to
be configured by *me* not some screwy config tool.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/