Re: NIS /NIS+ problem

Hi,

Paolo Pedaletti wrote:

> Ciao,
> I have "inherit" 20 pc client + 1 server RH 6.2 under NIS+.

One question first: You have a NIS+ server running Redhat?  I wasn't
aware, that there is actually a NIS+ server available for Linux.
Anyway.

> Slowly, I want to switch to Debian 2.2, starting from the client.

Good idea. :)

> I have "upgraded" :-) 2 client to 2.2, but I can't login as nis user (that
> exist on nis server)

> The problem is that under 2.2 there is no nis+, but only nis.
> Are they compatible?

Well, I think that NIS+ has a NIS compatibility mode, but at least on
SUN machines it has to be activated explictly.

> (maybe configuring the server to act as nis and not as nis+ ?)

This would be easy, but you lose the security that NIS+ gives you.  Not
a good idea.

> (and if yes, it's only a matter of s/nisplus/nis/g ?)

No, unfortunately not.

For NIS+ client installation, see
http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/nisplus/other.html.

Then you have to add credential information for the NIS+ clients (both
hosts and users) on the server.  I don't know the instructions in
detail, but it goes something like this (on the server):

1) Edit the /etc/passwd and add new user
2) You will need to know the user password so put the output of
`mkpasswd geheim` into /etc/passwd.
3) Edit /etc/shadow
4) cd to /var/nisplus (I think)
5) Make

Now you should have an entry for the user in the NIS+ passwd database.
See `niscat passwd.org_dir | grep user` for confirmation.

Now you have to add a credential for the host (the root user of the
machine) and the user himself.  Try `nisaddcred LOCAL` and then
`nisaddcred DES` for the user, and then `niscat cred.org_dir for
confirmation.

This is probably incomplete, but I don't have any more information now
at hand.

HTH,
Viktor

--