Re: Backup techniques

Alexander Steinert <stony8@gmx.de> writes:

> I'd like to know which programs and strategies you (would) use to backup
> *one* debian box. In one case I have available a CD-Burner as backup
> device and in the other case a 640MB MO drive.

I use my MO drive as backup medium by simply mirroring the relevant
directories (/home, /etc, /usr/local) with rsync or mirrordir
(excluding things like ~/.netscape/cache and the like). This works of
course only if your data is less than 640 MB (which mine is), but it
is very handy because you don't need any special restore program
(except cp).

> Constraint: I don't want a complete backup of all partitions but in case
> of bad luck to install a new debian system and then restore the files
> from the backup.  Where (in the file system hierarchy) should i draw the
> line between files restored from a backup and those to be restored by a
> new installation. (I know that I need a special backup for my postgres
> databases.)

Use pg_dump to backup not only your databases' contents but even their
structure in clean ascii sql instructions (you can do this as the user
which created the database.

Greetings,
joachim