Re: 386-4 MB startup question

Hello!

The Parity Check message could be the result of bad memory, but I don't
think so, instead I think that this computer is infected by the parity boot
b virus, which does nothing bad except of halting the system sometimes and
displaying this message... you can clean your computer with f-prot, a quite
goot antivirus program; it's free for non-commercial use and if you use it
commercially I think it's 30day trialware. But be sure to have a virus-clean
dos boot disk with sys.com and fdisk.??? on it because the removal of the
virus may corrupt the boot sector so that your machine won't boot up any
more until you fdisk /mbr and sys the harddisk. And... maybe you cannot
find/remove the virus when it's in memory, so you'll perhaps need a boot
disk with f-prot on it... producing this disk is quite complicated as it
f-prot needs much more then the space on one disk... So you should take the
old version which needs less space... if you need it, I could send you a
disk image of a boot disk. But you'll have to switch the date of your PC to
1/1/1998 because if you don't do so this old version will only tell you it's
outdated and it will exit :).

Link to F-PROT: ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/virus/fp-308b.zip
old version: ftp://ftp.unina.it/pub/Pcibm/antivirus/fprot/fp-228.zip or
search at http://ftpsearch.lycos.com

I can send you an additional 4megs of 1MB SIM 30pin ram modules if you want
because I've got many of them just lying around.
And also, if you want, a Debian 2.1 two-CD distribution, also lying
around... I think it'll install because it's got an older 2.0 kernel.

Hmm, and this problem with the NIC... are you sure you have switched off pnp
mode of this card, because the 386 bios won't handle pnp cards?

Regards,

Stephan Hachinger from Munich, Germany