Re: Nvidia + 2.4

And Romain Lerallut <lerallut@eleves.enpc.fr> gave word to the following
thoughts:

-|I've used that patch for a while now and no problems with it, though X
-|needed some tweaking (it's X 4.0.2 BTW).

Ooops... I'm running 4.0.1 and it is also fine with this one, even the
accelerated stuff works great, by now. :))

-|
-|If you want/need help, please send your X log files
-|(/var/log/XFree86.0.log)
-|and some kernel info...

Thanks for your offer, I'll come back on that if I need help. :))

-|PS: thanks for pointing out that the patch is NOT official....What is
-|Nvidia doing ?

Seems they're lazy lately in getting their drivers updated to 2.4.0. ...
Probably they're too busy in buying other companies, lately... (poor
3dfx...). Anyhow, I am more or less disappointed by their 'strange'
closed-source driver policy... what do you think, is there any use in
starting something, like, a user petition to NVidia claiming them to put
their drivers back open-source again? Surely it would make things a lot
easier, for example with having the Nvidia kernel driver (which to me just
seems to be something like the DRI stuff already included for 3dfx and the
MGA stuff in the 2.4.0 kernel) directly within the source tree...
Send me your opinions on that! :)

Wishing a nice sunday, all the best, and again thanks for your help,
everybody! :)
Regards,
Kris

--
"These outrageous events break through the peaceful silence.
 Into a fragile community enters madness, insanity...

Kristian Rink
paper: +49 180 5052 5560 8162
phone: +49 174 5360871
icq  : 48874445 (Krishna)