Re: vi - what happened to set wraplen ?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 01:08:45PM -0600 or thereabouts, will trillich wrote:
> > anyone of you using vi with woody having the same problem?
> > how'd u set or fix your wrap margins?
>
> within most vi clones and derivatives, try
> 	:set all
> to see ALL the available options. one of them will do what
> you're after (on my vim, it's "textwidth" or "tw" for short).
>
> while we're at it, try
> 	update-alternatives --display vi
> to see which vi you're actually using.

i found out i was using elvis-tiny so i tried elvis, then vim.

> if you're lucky (and a resource hog) you're actually using vim,
> which has a 'textwidth' or 'tw' option instead. it just now
> wrapped "which" and "wrapped" to the next line as i type this...

really strange.  i've been using "wraplen" since the hamm release and never
have i used others.  now with your suggestions and from others i've set my
"textwidth" to 79.

> it also reformatted your long-line message above (complete with
> leading ">" marks, at no extra charge) via typically obscure
> command keystrokes g q i p which re-wraps the paragraph where
> the cursor is.

lol. i noticed thanks.

> if you're NOT using vim, and don't have resource constraints, do
>
> 	apt-get install vim vim-rt
> 	update-alternatives --configure vim
>
> and see what you've been missing.

whoa!  lots of features in there.  looks like i've been doin' things the
ancient way and never bothered with macros.

thanks to all who replied.

Cheers,

Key fingerprint = 9DE1 5825 77B4 FF45 7485  D3EB DCCF DE48 09B6 4426

"Who's watching the watchmen?"