Re: Why choose Debian?

Well, here is mine.

Back in 1994 I was in college in Niagara Falls, NY.  There was a business
development center at this little community college and an ISP being
"incubated".  I went in for internet access, and the guy who owned the place
asked me if I wanted free Internet access if I would install Winsock on
customers computers.  I said what the hell, anything for 25 bucks.  They had
an O'Rielley book called "Essential Systems Administration" that he let me
borrow.  He even gave me time on the BSD/OS server to study.  Eventually what
started as a "Winsock" installer job turned into a sysadmin's job.

I loved BSD and eventually wanted to do more.  I heard about this thing
called FreeBSD and Linux, and how they were free.  I couldn't figure out how
to download FreeBSD but downloaded Slackware instead.  I toyed with it for a
while, but couldn't part with OS/2 and WfW quite yet.

Eventually a beast called Red Hat came aloung and made it possible to part
with OS/2 and WfW.  I eventually bounced from Slackware to Red Hat and
eventually even figured out how to download FreeBSD.

One day I responded to an ad in the newspaper about a job at a company called
Tucows (they are based in my hometown of Flint).  They were looking for a
number of different positions and I wanted to get out of the factory I was
working at as an office rat.  I went in for an interview and they told me
they were looking for someone to develop a Linux site for them.  I said I
knew Linux and BSD and they hired me on the spot.

I spent two years at Tucows, two very long years.  Web development is the
fast food of the IT industry, and although I had an T-3 at my disposal and
had to test all the latest Linux/BSD distros and apps, it did not make up for
the lack of respect the failed to show my family life.

I found a job last year in Ann Arbor.  My wife is eventually going to work
there and I get to take my Labrador to work with me when I want.  Its a great
job doing Linux Consulting (which means I could be doing systems
administration or building custom solutions to anything else dealing with
Linux).  They respect my family and my personal life.  I have a great boss
and the people I work with are fantastic.  Its a real dream job for someone
with a huge priority on my family life.

I had been bouncing back and forth from Red Hat to Slackware to FreeBSD.
They are all fine systems, but Slackware's lack of a package system (if it
dont do dependencies, its not a package system), FreeBSD's lack of
application support, and Red Hats annoying ability to insanely break their
distro's, I decided to try something that seemes alittle more consistent and
stable.  You just can't count on Red Hat to keep their distro stable.  Red
Hat 7.0 made be angry beyond belief, and now that its two CD's just to
install it, and its base system is 700 megs, I had to five up the
not-so-great fezz.  Plus, not to mention RPM is a joke and fragmented beyond
belief.

About the only distro I hadn't tried was Debian.  I said, what the hell, and
gave it a shot.  I don't think I will be going anywhere anytime soon.  It is
by far the best, most stable, most incredible OS ever made.  apt is
fantastic.  Its stable.  Its easy to use.  Its free, and I mean free.  I
sincerely doubt I will be going anywhere anytime soon.  It truly lives up to
the freedom Linux is built on.  I am definately in love with Debian.

--
Arthur, Melissa, and Lily Johnson
arthur@usol.com     missa@usol.com

Links