Re: testing and proposed updates

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:43:46PM -0800, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> |> So will testing always be available? I like the idea. I'm just not
> |> used to packages being rolled back in a release. But if I have
> |> apt-get always looking at testing, maybe that's what will make me
> |> happy.
>
> Does the existence of `testing' mean that `proposed-updates' is (in
> effect anyway) redundant? It seems that very few packages have gone in
> there since testing came on the scene.

no proposed-updates is for security fixes and very severe Brown Paper
Bag bugs in the stable distribution.  proposed-updates is integrated
into the stable point releases if they are found to be critical
enough and bug free.  potato r2 has so far not needed much fixing
which is why there is nothing there right now.

testing will never be integrated into stable, rather eventually
completely replace current stable, then a new testing is created.
(like old unstables became frozen, then stable)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/