Getting Gnome desktop on woody

Hello. I am a brand-new Debian user. I have another computer running Mandrake with the full Helix Gnome installed. (These days it's Ximian Gnome but I haven't updated in a while.)

I'd like to get my Debian system running the same desktop environment as my Mandrake computer. But my understanding is that it would be better to use Debian packages rather than Ximian packages.

As far as I can tell I have all the Gnome stuff, including control center, installed. But I don't know how to get things set up the way I want them.

0) I am used to Sawfish.  What apt-get commands can I use to get it?

1) How do I enable the Gnome desktop? I want the "foot" menu, the panel, applets, etc.

P.S. Not a Gnome question, but my X display is in a display mode that refreshes at only 60Hz. I'd like to set it up to 90Hz, which my monitor will handle. I'm using Xfree86 4.0.2 running on top of a woody system. I already edited the XF86Config-4 file to tell it what ranges of scanning rates my monitor can handle. Not only do I not know how to set it the way I want it, but Ctrl+Alt+Numpad+ doesn't do anything, so I can't even fix it manually.

Thanks!