Re: init / rc0.d

Xucaen  <xucaen@yahoo.com> writes:
X> Thomas Guettler <guettli@interface-business.de> writes:
 TG> You can start a service like this:
 TG> #/etc/init.d/networking (start|stop|restart)
X>
X> I tried xdm stop and got some strange error saying that "stop"
X> wasn't a valid parameter (I didn't write down the exact error.)

Did you explicitly try /etc/init.d/xdm stop?  If you just run 'xdm
stop' as root, it'll probably try to start /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm with the
'stop' parameter, which isn't what you want at all.  (And it's often
very helpful when trying to solve problems to include the exact text
of error messages.)

X> I also have another question. If I remove the symlink to xfs and
X> xdm, will there be any services or anything that will not get
X> started via startx? I'm still having a problem where when I remove
X> xfs and xdm (or simply just xdm) and use startx, then XF86Setup
X> crashes the system.

If your XF86Config file has an explicit dependency on a local font
server, then you'll need to start xfs before you start X.  You can
check by looking for the font path in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file; if
it just lists actual directories and not anything like
"tcp/localhost:7100" or "unix/:-1", then you don't need xfs.  If it
does list one of these, you probably want to leave the xfs link to
start the X font server at boot time.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell