AWE64 and ALSA

I recently migrated to Debian potato from RedHat, and I am thrilled,
with the exception of my sound card setup. I haven't been able to get it
to work, and the online documentation I've seen is confusing and
contradictory. The Debian install manual doesn't mention sound at all,
and Linuxdoc recommends recompiling the kernel. Another says I just have
to have the correct modules installed and activated.

Additionally, these instructions are for the free OSS drivers, which are
fine but I want to use ALSA. Can I use ALSA without running OSS, or does
ALSA need OSS to run? I have apt-get installed the ALSA packages, but it
doesn't yet work.

My desired goal is to get my AWE64 working under ALSA. Can anyone point
me in the right direction to accomplish this?

Thanks...

-Jim