Problem building dot-forward for qmail

When trying to compile the dot-forward-src .deb for qmail on Debian 2.2, I get the following error:

tweety:~# build-dot-forward

This script unpacks the dot-forward source into a directory, and
compiles it to produce a binary dot-forward*.deb file.

The directory where this is done will end up containing the source
and package files for the dot-forward binary package, along with a
directory containing the unpacked source.

Enter a directory where you like to do this [/tmp/dot-forward]
dpkg-source: extracting dot-forward in dot-forward-0.71

dpkg-source: extracting dot-forward in dot-forward-0.71

Binary package dot-forward will be compiled now
This can take long time, depending on your machine

Press ENTER to continue...
dh_testdir
make: dh_testdir: Command not found
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 127

How can I correct this so dot-forward will properly compile?

Thanks!

Alec