Re: proper, debian location of latex files

|> What is the proper location in a debian system for files obtained
|> from CTAN?  Should there be a /usr/local/share/texmf tree in
|> addition to the /usr/share/texmf tree, or should files obtained
|> from sources other than debian be put in some logical place in the
|> deb-package tree? files from /macros/latex/contrib/supported/ for
|> example?

My own experience is that it is better to place new or personal files
outside the texmf tree. With the upgrade from slink to potato, for
instance, texmf moved from /usr/lib/ to /usr/share . I had placed some
macro files and font files of my own in /usr/lib/texmf/ but of course
the upgrade scripts couldn't move them to the appropriate new
location. Which meant in turn that they couldn't delete the directory
/usr/lib/texmf (since it wasn't empty). I had to fix all of this by
hand.

No such large-scale re-organization is envisaged at present as far as
I know, but you never can tell. And none of my hand-fixing would have
been necessary if I had placed my personal stuff in, say,
/usr/local/texmf. As long as you define the environment variable
TEXINPUTS appropriately, (La)TeX should be able to find the files no
matter where you put them. And then:

|> Also, once installed, what is the command for making tex/latex
|> aware of these files?

texhash, run as root

I hope this is helpful,

Jim