Re: GeForce2 MX, drivers, X4...

The stock drivers for nvidia's cards depend on mesa for opengl, so you
will not get accelerated 3d graphics.  whether you need/want them us up to
you, but here is what do do if you want them.

from nvidia's ftp there is a NVIDIA_KERNEL*.tgz and an NVIDIA_GLX*.tgz,
grab both and make sure the get the newest version.  they both extract
into thier own directories, go into the NVIDIA_KERNEL directory and i
believe you jsut have to type make. this comples the driver as a module to
the kernel who's headers are in /usr/include/linux installs it and insmods
itself.  Now go into the GLX directory.  Here you want to read the FAQ you
can get off nvidia's website, and backup the libGL.so's and glx.so's that
this driver will overwrite.  when your satisifed, type make and then go to
your XF86Config file.  for your card, change the driver from "nv" to
"nvidia" and wherever the option is, you can do options "glx".  I dont
know if its specific to TNT cards (what i have), but only 24 bit color is
supported, if i try 32 bit the console freezes and i have to telnet in and
reboot to get it back.  I've successfully played Descent3 and Quake3 under
this setup with hardware accelerated openGL (a bit faster that they are
under windows for me even)

-casey