dirt-level networking

Hey All,

First, can someone point me to somewhere other than the
ethernet or network howto for info on setting up a home network?

I have two boxes, one nic for each, and a crossover cable. plus
a dialup modem in one. eventually I'd like my cheapie computer
(a bargain 486)
to be a firewall, but just want to mess with networking the two
first.

one box has an isa card, the other a pci, but they're both
ne2000 compatable (pnp, unfortunately).

Once I get the two connected, I'm gonna move my modem to the
486. Am I gonna have to jump thru too many hoops to switch to a
dsl modem later? (I'll have to add another nic??)

Loving every minute of it.
-tom