upgrade to 2.2.18

hi all

i just finished upgrading my machine to the stable 2.2.18 kernel and
everything seems to be working fine.  i just have a bunch of little
questions someone could shed light on.

1)  CMD640 & RZ1000 IDE CHIPSET?
	when configuring the kernel, one has the option to include
	work arounds for the CMD640 and RZ1000 ide controller.  i have
	an FIC PA-2013 motherboard using the VIA APOLLO MVP3
	chipset.  am i susceptible to this problem?  i compiled them
	in anyways since it was the suggested thing to do.

2)  hwclock and ntp
	i run ntp to keep my system time correct.  i didn't even know
	that i update my hardware clock until i came across
	/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh, which update the hw clock during
	shutdown and updates the system clock during boot-up.  i
	hardly ever shutdown my system - should i even bother updating
	my hw clock?  i can see the advantage of saving the system to
	the hw during shutdown, but i probably should not set the
	system time from hw during boot-up since ntp will do this for
	me.  also i read somewhere that the hw clock is updated from
	the system clock every 11 minutes.  is this really necessary?
	if not how do i stop this?

3)  update-modules /lib/modules/2.2.18
	i've updated my modules.conf by turning off the following
	network protocols:
	 alias net-pf-3 off              # Amateur Radio AX.25
	 alias net-pf-4 off              # IPX
	 alias net-pf-5 off              # DDP / appletalk
	 alias net-pf-6 off              # Amateur Radio NET/ROM
	 alias net-pf-9 off              # X.25
	 alias net-pf-11 off             # ROSE / Amateur RadioX.25 PLP
	 alias net-pf-19 off             # Acorn Econet
	chances are i don't need these modules.  i then ran
	update-modules but now i get this message during start-up:

		Dec 31 16:59:52 yakko modprobe: Note:
		/etc/modules.conf is more recent than
		/lib/modules/2.2.18/modules.dep

	is this normal?  should i touch modules.dep to get rid of this
	warning or did i do something wrong.

thanks
pd

please cc my email since i'm not on the mailing list.

--
^X^C
quit