Re: [Q] Debian with UMSDOS part.

on Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 03:13:24PM +0200, Elias Athanasopoulos (eatha@cc.uoa.gr) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there an installation image in order to have Debian Linux installed
> under an MS-DOS partition? Any sources are welcomed.

Not that I'm aware of.

SuSE GNU/Linux had an option to install onto a UMSDOS partition some
time back, as well as a "live CD" installation.  There's also PHAT
Linux, as well as a number of other GNU/Linux distributions which were
intended for installation under Legacy MS Windows.

At a minimum, you'd need msdos, vfat, and/or umsdos support in the
kernel (compiled-in, not a module).  I'd start poking around through the
the HOWTOs and possibly some of the Linux-on-DOS distributions to see
how they're configured.

Why do you want to do this?  In general, you get much better
performance, functionality, and safety, running on a standard ext2fs
(or similar) partition.