Re: Switching between KDE & Helix-Gnome

On Saturday 30 December 2000 00:10, Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi Noah!
>
> Thanks a lot for your quick reply!
>
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> > You don't need KDM in order to start KDE, nor do you need GDM to start
> > GNOME.  Either of these display managers will allow you to choose a
> > "session" from a menu when you log in.
>
> If I understand you right, it is probably best to do completely without a
> display manager and instead use an ".xsession" file in my home directory
> from which I start the corresponding session. What script do I have to
> execute for starting Helix Gnome?

I think it's gnome-session. Try KDM, to add a session you just go as root to
the appropriate dialog in kcontrol [System > Login manager > Sessions tab].
The session name is the name of the bash command you would use to invoke the
window manager in question. Thus add xfce if you want to run xfce, icewm if
you want to run icewm, and gnome-session for a gnome session. YMMV.