Re: Confusion over library names

When libraries are named, the developer picks some sort of version
number for it.  That version number goes after the .so part of the
filename.  My guess for that libstdc++ you have is that it is for g++
2.7.2 (old!).  You probably have another one for 2.95.2.

If you need to build a program yourself, you should have a symlink to
the correct version of the shared library file.  If you change what
libraries are installed on the system or the path for them I think it
is good to run ldconfig (packages should do this automatically).
ldconfig looks for libraries and tells ld where they are.  Then ld
just uses it's config to find the library when it needs to.

I'm not really too clear on the exact details here, but the gist of it
should be correct.  (If not please let me know so that I can correct
my understanding!)

HTH,
-D

:-)