Re: exim configuration--fetchmail-IMAP

On Saturday 16 December 2000 17:57, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > I'm trying to setup a server on my home network and I need some advice
> > on how to setup exim.
>
> Sample config: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/exim.conf
>
> > Here's my network config:
> > One Debian server, one debian workstation, fiance's winbox.  I use a
> > 56k modem to connect to the internet. (Currently only 3 users, root,
> > me, and fiance)
>
> s/56k modem/cable modem/ and you'll have a lot of people's home setups.
>
> > I'm trying to keep all my mail on the server (I do a lot of testing
> > with my workstation and reinstall quite often, and no, putting my mail
> > on the winbox is not an option.)
> >
> > Here's my plan in plain english:
> > 1.  Logon to the internet.
>
> If you want to do it manually do it with masqdialer ("apt-get install
> masqdialer") and go to http://cpwright.villagenet.com/mserver/ for Wintel,
> Mac, and X11 clients.

Masqdialer is what I was using before and when I upgraded the server it
broke.  I plan on using it but can't seem to find a reliable windows client
(for win95) that actually works.

> If you want it done automagically investigate diald.
>
> > 2.  *Automatically* grab email from 2 different ISPs and put on local
> > Debian server.
>
> Put the script to run fetchmail under /etc/ppp/ip-up.d.  More info is
> needed on how these 2 ISPs relate to users on the Debian server, though.

I have 3 email addresses to grab mail from (2 are mine, 1 hers, they are all
pop3).  That should be pretty easy just:

--------fetchmailrc-------------
poll mail.server.com
	user jgoerz there with password xxxx is jesse here

poll mail.server2.com
	user jgoerz there with password xxxxx is jesse here

poll mail.server3.com
	user her_name there with password xxxx is her_name here
--------fetchmailrc-------------

Putting in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d is the trick though.  The example fetchmail-up
and fetchmail-down scripts that come with fetchmail call fetchmail like this:

fetchmail --syslog --invisible --fetchmailrc /etc/fetchmailrc

so I put fetchmailrc with 0600 permissions in the /etc directory.  The real
question is what happens to the mail after fetchmail grabs it?

According to the man page for fetchmail
       "As each message is retrieved fetchmail  normally  delivers
       it  via  SMTP  to  port 25 on the machine it is running on
       (localhost), just as though it were being passed in over a
       normal  TCP/IP  link.   The  mail  will  then be delivered
       locally via your system's MDA (Mail Delivery  Agent,  usu-
       ally...   exim, or qmail).  All  the  delivery-
       control  mechanisms  (such  as  .forward  files)  normally
       available through  your  system  MDA  and  local  delivery
       agents will therefore work."

How do I know exim puts all the mail where it's supposed to go for each user?

> > 3.  Access email on local Debian server from Debian workstation and
> > winbox.
> > 4.  *Leave* email on Debian server, do not transport to workstations.
>
> Configure workstations for IMAP.  Which imap server you use depends on the
> mailbox format you choose.  Depending on the mail client and mailbox
> format you use on the Debian workstation you may be able to get by with
> NFS between workstation and server (ie mutt + maildir).
>
> But IMAP is a good blanket statement :)

This is what I want to do but I'm having difficulty figuring it out.  I
installed the imap package of potato stable and there is no configuration to
be done?! :-)  That threw me for a loop.  It says all the mail defaults to
the users home directory on the server.  This is what's confusing me.  If
exim puts the mail in the users home directories, then the IMAP server does
that too...Someone please educate me;-)

> > 5.  Send email using smtp.
>
> You'd do best to use you're ISPs SMTP server as a smarthost.  See the
> sample config file.
>
> If you mean "send queued email using smtp" there's already a
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim (at least on my computer) that does that.

Yes, mine does that too.  I think it's a default setup when you run
eximconfig and choose option 2 (smarthost).  I did set it up so that my ISP
is the smarthost.

> Check the spec (I have slightly out-of-date HTML documentation at
> http://tux.creighton.edu/doc/exim/manual.html/) and the listserv
> archives at http://www.exim.org for info on delaying delivery.
>
> > 6.  Rewrite all local network addresses to reflect ISP email addresses.
>
> See the sample exim.conf.
>
> > 7.  Log off of internet.
>
> masqdialer can hang up for you when you're done.
>
> I'd imagine diald will hang up automatically after a period of inactivity.

TIA,
Jesse