Re: relationships with GNU as an upstream - call for feedback

Le mardi 21 juin 2011 à 17:26 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> I'll be glad to talk about that. But I would also like to take the
> chance to present how we feel about GNU as an upstream, in case we have
> anything more to say about GNU than what we have to say about other
> upstreams (see for example initiatives like [1,2,3]).

I’m not a GNU package maintainer (unless you still consider GNOME a GNU
project), so I’m not saying anything about GNU as upstream developers,
but if you want to discuss frankly our issues with them, I hope you can
talk about RMS and the handful of holier-than-thou followers who always
find something that is “not free enough”.
There’s the topic of non-free firmwares of course (which suddenly become
free when they are shipped as EPROMs), and there’s the insanity that is
said every other day about Mono and anything loosely related to
Microsoft.

These people still represent the voice of the community in the minds of
journalists. They should consider it a great responsibility on their
shoulders, and I think they are abusing it; instead of promoting the
actual voice of the community, they are scaring people away by extremist
views based on incorrect claims.

I’d also join the crowd on the topic of non-free documentation which is
still extremely cumbersome for us, and forces people to add non-free APT
lines to install documentation for their free software.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :