Re: More install problems under Ultra10 and tftp...

On 29 Jun 1999, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> > > The kernel is not extracted from tftpboot.img by dboostrap but
> > > from one of the resc1440*.bin image (either from floppy drive, or
> > > cdrom or even from the net).
>
> > I know that, but those images _are_ contained in the tftpboot image.
>
> The tftpboot image contains two kernels and a compress ramdisk.
>
> > My current problem is that the tftpboot image that I have is
> > tftpboot-2.2.1.img. This one will boot with the file systems enabled that
> > I need. What I don't have are the rescue and drivers disk images that
> > correspond to that boot image. It is my understanding that these are
> > contained in the tftpboot image, hense my desire to be able to extract the
> > contents of this style file image.
>
> The drivers and rescue disk are found in:
>    ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-sparc/current

No wonder I couldn't find it! Stable of all places! ;-)

So now the question is: Can I install from unstable, and expect things to
work? Should I install packages from slink as well, or can I get by with
potato? (I have a potato mirror of the sparc packages, but not a slink
one.)

I got a base system installed, no sweat, from the image files from this
archives. Thanks!

I am still having some interesting problems.

1. Even with the 2.2.1 kernel, the iso9660 file system doesn't seem to
work right. For example I can ls files that find and cp will fail to see.

2. Installed all the dependencies for midnight commander from potato. mc
intalled ok, but gave a bunch of library linkage failures on attempting
execution. I was a bit concerned that libc6 is listed twice. Is this
caused by library mismatch?

In any case, I now have a good solid base system, and can expand from here
in pretty short order.

Thanks again for all the great help from this list! I really appreciate
it.

Luck,

Dwarf