building zlib on the Ultra

Yet another data point in the source dependency saga.

zlib1g requires altgcc in order to build.

altgcc can not be built on the Ultra, and provides the following:

   This appears to be a sparc64-unknown-linux system.
   Configuration sparc64-unknown-linux not supported
   make: *** [build] Error 1

While I understand the error, I don't understand why a critical library
for xfree86 (and therefore indirectly for packages like tetex-bin, which
need xlib6g in order to build), still requires an ancient compiler. Is
there some pressing reason that it can't be built with one or the other of
the up-to-date compilers the rest of the distribution is using?

Any hints appreciated,

Dwarf