Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

Monday, August 30, 1999, 7:36:00 AM, Dale wrote:
> Creeping Perl

> It seems that we have been allowing perl to creep into critical portions
> of the installation process without resolving the consequeces of this
> action. Given that we continue to have recurring discussions about
> replacing bash with ash or some other POSIX sh, to reduce creeping
> bashisms, why are there not more outcries against the use of perl in
> installation and configuration scripting?

    Because, to me, perl is better suited for these things than shell scripts.
In fact, I really dislike shell scripts because they are burdened with a lot
of problems and quirks which people who are not accustomed to thinking in
shell are likely to spots, much less resolve.  I'm not to keen on a script which
fails because of file names and the globbing associated with them.  I'm not at
all keen on the whole practice of trying to keep everything straight through
several different programs.  Yes, it is the unix way, and works for the quick
and dirty fixes to get something up and running again.  For things which are
critical, that aren't needed quickly, are programmed over months not minutes,
shell is not viable, IMHO.