Re: Hard problems to compile kernel !!!

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Franz Skale wrote:

> Of course i installed the packages from potato.
> Now i did what you have told me to do and there are the messages i get on
> compiling the kernel !!!
>
> These messages appear at compiling the kernel 2.2.7
> softirq.c:59: warning: unused variable `cpu'
> floppy.c: In function `result':
> floppy.c:1162: warning: `status' might be used uninitialized in this
> function
> floppy.c: In function `floppy_interrupt':
> floppy.c:1753: warning: unused variable `cpu'
> floppy.c: In function `floppy_ready':
> floppy.c:1927: warning: unused variable `flags'
> ide-probe.c:618: warning: unsigned int format, different type arg (arg 4)
> ide-probe.c:618: warning: unsigned int format, different type arg (arg 5)
> ide-cd.c: In function `cdrom_play_lba_range':
> ide-cd.c:1892: warning: `stat' might be used uninitialized in this function
> nfs2xdr.c: In function `nfs_xdr_readdirres':
> nfs2xdr.c:449: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 3)
> xdr.c: In function `nlm_decode_fh':
> xdr.c:99: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 3)
> xprt.c: In function `rpciod_tcp_dispatcher':
> xprt.c:757: warning: `result' might be used uninitialized in this function

Here is where the "real" trouble begins.

This is pretty much like my experience, although I get a bunch more
messages (looks like you filtered out stderr from the rest)

> n file included from ioctl32.c:29:

It isn't clear to me why this particular 32 bit code is being included in
the first place, but then I'm pretty dense ;-)

> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_ppp.h:88: field `mode' has incomplete type
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_ppp.h:100: field `stats' has incomplete type
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_ppp.h:105: field `stats' has incomplete type

These failures are the "killers".

Seems we need a patch. I'll take a look at the Debian kernel source
package and see what kind of patches have been applied. I've been working
with "pristine" source.

For as much as I understand what is going on right now, this could still
be a compiler error. Is there a newer version of egcs64 that we should be
building, maybe? Is there another package involved?

I'm at least as frustrated as Franz, so if anyone out there has the
"secret handshake" please let us in on it. The fact that I have a 2.2.7
kernel that runs on this machine, suggests that the exercise should be
successful.

On bended knee,

Dwarf