Re: sparc64 and sparc architecture -- any consensus?

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> IMO, the binary-sparc64 port should be kept for a fully 64bit port. The
> overlay libraries should be in binary-sparc, just like egcs64 is. That
> way if people want sparc32 with 64bit libs on their Ultra, they can use
> binary-sparc, and for full 64bit compiles, they use sparc64.

Ah!  This is the most sensible suggestion so far!

So, if we all agree here, the road map for the future looks like:

 * work on the 64-bit capabilities of sparc debian port
   This involves getting all the toolchain working, the /lib and /lib-64
   stuff (or however it's called) etc.

 * once that is set, we may wish to compile some alternate versions of
   some applications (?)

 * after that, when we feel we're ready, actually create a sparc64
   architecture (which should be pretty easy) and kick up some autobuilders
   for it (I would assume that this pure sparc64 arch wouldn't really
   happen until 2000 or 2001)