Re: sparc64 and sparc architecture -- any consensus?

> Solaris 7 uses /usr/lib/64 while SPARC64/OS(HAL) uses /usr/lib/sparc64. Can
> we use a similar layout?

Solaris 7 I think uses /usr/lib/sparcv9/, but I personally like the Irix way
much more, especially when we should choose a solution which will be
appliable to mipslinux and ppclinux once they go 64bit.

> I was asked following question (not from newbie and NOT from curiosity):
>
> "- Is this UltraLinux compliant with SPARC V9 ABI?"
>
> I guess kernel developers know the answer.

We are not, although we aim to match it as closely as possible.
I think there are some problems with structure passing, utraps are not yet
finished and more importantly the 64bit glibc clobbers application specific
global registers (this is done on purpose, as it really speeds up all those
string operations it is used in, but provided there would be enough interest
for V9 ABI programs, we might make glibc configurable for strict ABI
compliance and put it into those /usr/lib/sparcv9/ paths, as e.g. SPARC v9
ABI dynamic linker is required to be /usr/lib/sparcv9/ld.so.1). There is a
couple of minor things here and there as well.

> "We" are looking for the following 64-bit libraries:
>
>   libc.so.x + ld-linux.so.x
>   libelf.so
>   libm.so
>   libncurses.so
>   libfl.so
>
> Particularly the first three are critical. Do we have it in the latest
> UltraPenguin?
>
> We might be able to get a working 64-bit compiler soon if we have these
> libraries.

There are no such libraries, but I'm actively hacking on it and David Miller
will join me in that supposedly very soon.

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
UltraLinux  |  http://ultra.linux.cz/  |  http://ultra.penguin.cz/
Linux version 2.2.7 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)