Cluster Administration

Rainer Dorsch writes:

 > We have here a cluster of 30 SUN UltraSparcs and I am looking forward to see
 > Debian UltraLinux. A major concern I have about Linux on UltraSparc is, that
 > it seems to be difficult to keep on all the workstations exactly the same
 > configuration and sharing diskspace using NFS.
 >
 > Currently, Debian package management is sufficient for a single workstation,
 > but insufficient for a cluster. This problem has to be addresses sooner or
 > later, if you want to run Debian on a workstation cluster.

Yes, this is a problem. Currently I have configured one server and 10
clients (386er with 60MB disk space ;-). The server is administered
for itself and one of the clients (mounting an /amnt/server directory)
is administered. I replaced things I cannot keep on the clients with
symbolic links to the /amnt/server directory. One client (the master
client) gets all client packages installed, the other clients get
their copies via rdist. That scheme is not perfect, but once it's
setup, it works and I do not have to answer each mime question ten
times.

	Matthias