Re: libffi - updates needed?

On 16.04.2012 18:52, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking through the archive for packages using libffi. There's a
> problem with libffi and variadic functions that has been recently
> fixed - see
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2012/03/msg00108.html
>
> for more information. So far, we only expect symptoms to show up on
> armhf *but* it might be more widespread. Until recently, libffi didn't
> support variadic functions properly. That's now been fixed in libffi,
> but there's an extra API call necessary in places where variadics are
> used.
>
> Looking at gcc-4.6 and gcc-4.7, I can see that the embedded copies of
> libffi are too old for this fix. I don't see a build-dep on
> libffi-dev, whish suggests that they're using these embedded copies
> rather than the system version. A couple of questions here: I'm
> curious why this is? If it's definitely necessary, could we update
> those embedded copies to a more recent libffi with the change
> included?
>
> Even beyond that, there are quite likely to be changes that would need
> to be made in the gcc source to use the new ffi_prep_cif_var()
> function. My scan of the archive shows ffi_prep_cif() shows up / is
> used in:
>
>  gcc-4.6
>  gcc-snapshot
>  gcj-4.[467]
>
> at least. Can you help please?

gcc-snapshot roughly has the 3.0.11 libffi release.  libffi inside gcc is only
used as a convenience library for libgcj, nothing else. the armhf specific issue
is fixed in the Debian/Ubuntu packages, and libgcj doesn't make use of the new
interfaces.

the python sources have an embedded libffi as well, which is not used by the
python package builds.

  Matthias