Re: Bulding cross-toolchains in the archive

Hello,

2012/1/31 Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
> Wookey wrote:

>> We need to make the tech work and show that we have a package to
>> upload which would build stuff, then agree what is/isn't allowed and
>> make changes to the build infrastructure accordingly.

> Yes, good idea.  Sounds like the cross-arch dependency stuff isn't too
> serious an obstacle at all; thanks much for clarifying it.

I wonder which approach should we tackle for approaching wheezy
release, with multi-arch so close, it would be a pity to pollute
Debian archive name space with -$arch-cross packages. But still, build
daemons will not be aware of cross-arch dependencies until wheezy+1,
so we are unable to have a cross compiler packages in wheezy by
build-depending on cross-arch packages.

Another approach would be bootstrap cross compiler from scratch, which
is the approach followed by Marcin packages, but I would suggest to
change -$arch-cross dependencies to the multi-arch equivalents and
force user to enable multi-arch for such architecture on their system.
Of course, as a pre-requirement we need a dpkg aware of multi-arch in
unstable (hopefully sooner than later).

Any thoughts on what solution we want for the upcoming wheezy release?

Cheers,
--