Re: pcc-for-x86-64-linux-gnu: depends on an unavailable package

Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder dixit:

>> I had thought that Matthias was (for good reasons) not interested in
>> the stock binutils source package producing cross-compilers for
>> additional targets on autobuilders, and that the binutils-source
>
> I heard there was interest in having limited combinations
> available. We'll see.

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said.  If the binutils
source package produces cross-compilers, that would make binutils
updates take longer on autobuilders and have more chance of failing
to build; hence, cross-compilers like mingw grab the same source code
through a Build-Depends from a different source package.  This is the
same trick that packages such as gcj-4.6 use.

The gcc-4.6 source package builds binary packages for C, Fortran,
Objective C, and C++ support.  It does not build packages for Java
support.

The gcj-4.6 source package is smaller and Build-Depends on the
"gcc-4.6-source" binary package, to allow source and rules to be
shared with gcc-4.6.

> For now, the next pcc upload will
> not require this anyway.

Thanks for the update.  Alas.