Re: gfortran transition release goal proposal

Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:58:28PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>> Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> Camm Maguire writes:

>>> Riku, maybe announce the transition to d-d-a? Or should some more
>>> packages prepared in advance?
>
>> I would at least send it to all the package maintainers involved (Cc or Bcc)
>> and debian-devel, I'm not sure I would send it to d-d-a...
>
> Ideally I'd like to see the refblas3->lapack3->atlas3 set uploaded to
> experimental first. But the experimental buildd's do not pull build
> dependencies for experimental.. So as a lighter version,

They do pull dependencies from experimental, but only when you version the
build dependencies appropriate... Though it would be good to not upload them
all at the same time, but kind of one each day so packages don't have to be
rebuild all the time...

> first stage:
>
> 1) announce to d-d + bcc maintainers.
>
> BCC, since it reply-all seems popular.

Sounds good.

> 2) get refblas3 uploaded to experimental
>
> Since it has a anal testuite, it should expose most critical porting
> problems.

Right.

2b) get lapack3 uploaded, preferably after refblas3 has been installed in the
archive (almost) on all archs, get atlas3 uploaded, preferably after lapack3
has been installed in the archive (almost) on all archs.

> 3) file important "please change to gfortran" bugs on the "trivial" packages.

s/"trivial"/all involved/

> Second stage:
>
> If there is any serious problems shown by first stage, first get them
> fixed. Else proceed directly:
>
> Start uploading all packages build-depending on g77/libg2c. Raise RC
> bugs as at this point gfortran transition is a release goal.

A release goal doesn't warrant RC bugs, though (request of) removal of
g77/libg2c does warrant RC bugs...

> Sounds good?

After incorporating my comments it does ;-)

Cheers

Luk