Re: How to get started

On May 28, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Stephen Gran wrote:

This one time, at band camp, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. said:
I have just installed Debian on a Copmaq Presario 5070, but my
ethernet card was not recognized. I have a manufacturer-provided
driver for it, but I only have the source, so I must compile it and
connect it to the system.

The make file calls for gcc and some other software, so I have to
install those first, but so far I have not even been able to find the
"make" module in the mess of packages that are provided. Isn't there
some kind of meta-install package that will install the software you
need to compile and link a driver?

probably better suited to these sorts of queries. This is a mostly dead
list (that I guess I had forgotten I was still subscribed to) designed
for discussions about the toolchain itself.

All that being said, there is a meta-package, build-essential, which
should get you most of what you need to build kernel modules.  After
that, you'll need the kernel-headers-$(uname -r) package.  If
build-essential does not for some reason install make, the package is
named, perhaps too obviously, make.

Many thanks, all of you, but:

Neither aptitude, apt-get, nor dselect seem to recognize "build- essential"
(Most of them say "No candidate version" or some such message.)
I can't find it in the screen version of aptitude, either.

I did find it by searching the Debian website, but it is a -.deb file.
Should I download that on my G4, write it to a CD (what format? ISO?) and load it (how?) onto the Presario? (Remember, I can't download directly, since the ethernet card doesn't work yet, which is the object of this excercise!)

TIA,

Dan Killoran