Re: C++ ABI change for etch -- freeze unstable for all C++ libs with changed or new sonames

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 01:25:28PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> - freeze unstable for uploads of library packages with new ABI
>   versions.  If a new soname is introduced now, it has to be changed a
>   few weeks later again.  Packages depending on these libraries
>   would need to be uploaded twice as well.
> The time frame of the C++ ABI changed is not yet fixed.  We will
> certainly need some time to get the toolchain in shape to start the
> transition.  In the meantime you can check the new compilers in
> unstable (g++-3.4) and in experimental (g++-4.0), the new binutils in
> experimental (2.16), and the new glibc in experimental (2.3.5).

Doesn't this cause the same issue as with sarge where the transition was
too early and could have been to a more recent gcc version if done
later?

Your release team plans a 12-18 months release cycle. This means etch
will not release before the second half of 2006.

It's not unlikely that gcc 4.1 will be released in 2005.

The C++ ABI might change again in gcc 4.1 .

If the C++ transition was half a year from now to gcc 4.1, it was still
6-12 months before the date your release team plans to release etch.

>   Matthias

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.