Why isn't gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2) packaged (for kernel 2.4 builds)

Your argument that 2.91.66 is recommended to build 2.4 kernels is
partially wrong. At least for architecures alpha, powerpc, sparc,
mips, (hppa, s390, ...) it's not used (please correct me, if I am
wrong).

As Ray pointed out, gcc-2.95.3 seems to be capable to build usable 2.4
kernels. Unfortunately this is not yet released (we use the test5
release), so you won't get a recommendation from the kernel developers
to use an unreleased compiler.

Neil L. Roeth writes:
 > On Mar 13, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn (cristian.ionescu-idbohrn@axis.com) wrote:
 >  > Package: wnpp
 >  > Severity: important
 >  >
 >  > Cheers Ray,
 >  >
 >  > Surely there's another, easier, way instead of chasing and digging in
 >  > slink dists after old egcs package versions, and elsewhere after
 >  > patches, and still being unsure if one can pull everything through.
 >  >
 >  > We have the 'alternatives'. Cannot that be used to add one more
 >  > compiler to the family? Would anyone with better understanding of this
 >  > care to comment?

>From my point of view, alternatives are dangerous for the
compiler. In bug reports it's difficult to see the compiler
used. Therefore if you need a special version of the compiler, name it
directly.

 > I, too, would like to see egcs 1.1.2 (2.91.66) in potato.  I recently
 > had to compile a program that would compile with that, but not with
 > 2.95.2, and when I tried to install the slink package it told me it
 > conflicted with the installed gcc (obviously).

A comparision against 2.95.2 isn't useful. Compare it with 2.95.3.

To get a version for potato, fetch

	http://master.debian.org/~doko/gcc/potato/

(There are still a few installation bugs in the -doc packages)

 > I ended up building
 > egcs the old-fashiond way in /usr/local/ and resetting the path
 > temporarily when compiling the other program.  Is there an easy way to
 > install Debian packages to a different destination than their default?
 >  And tell it to go ahead and install there even if the package
 > conflicts with another?

dpkg -x <package> <dir> and setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

 > You can read about building and installing A+ on a Debian system at
 > http://www.aplusdev.org.

These are instructions to build on a potato system. You won't solve
these issues with a compiler uploaded to unstable.

As a member of the gcc packaging group I don't like the idea to
include egcs-1.1.2 in woody again.

- Please wait until gcc-2.95.3 is finally released and you can get a
  recommendation for kernel builds.

- If egcs is still needed, it shouldn't use alternatives.

- egcs should only be built for architectures that need it (currently
  i386, maybe m68k).