Re: Geoff's gmon_start fix to binutil works! (fwd)

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> I just had a conversation with Franz Sirl about this issue.
> Apparently, it is not so much a binary compatibility issue as a bad
> bugfix in the vtable thunk code.  He recommended something like this
> (there's equivalent blocks in gcc/config/linux.h and a few others):
>
> It's been reported a couple of times now... apparently something in the
> bugfix gets badly miscompiled at -O2, producing a bad libstdc++.  It
> seems that there are no binary compatibility issues between the two
> values, so we may want to look into this.
>
> To verify that the problem's gone away, run a C++ regression suite at
> -O2.

I'll give this a go later tonight on Alpha.  The DEFAULT_VTABLE_THUNKS
change from 1 to 2 in gcc/config/alpha/linux-elf.h was committed on
2000-04-12 (the change was the only one made to that file, no other code
in that file was affected).

Problem is, I may have to switch to a newer kernel to run the regression
tests since there are some math-related problems on Alpha that are kernel
related that prevent the testsuite from running completely.