Re: Binutils release imminent (FYI)

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Matthias Klose wrote:

> I tried to build on i386 (builds ok) and found some things:
>
> - binutils is built for i486, not i386. Is this a problem?
>   I tried to use dpkg-architecture; it does work on i386-linux,
>   but binutils-multiarch is configured for i486-linux (not
>   i386-linux). And dpkg-architcture does not seem to know sparc64.

Oops.  The i386->i486 part was a leftover oversight of mine.  I'll fix
this (sorry).  The patch looks good and I'll run it through a few tests,
but I'll probably end up applying the whole thing.  Thanks!

>   Is the i486-mingw32 a leftover?

No, this was requested awhile ago by a user who develops using it.  It
doesn't add much to the multiarch package, so I just left it in.

> - the doc -> share/doc links are missing

I missed those and noticed them after the upload.  Thanks for reminding me
again as my brain is not working correctly lately.

> - still using 80cols for remote editing, so I introduced some vars
>   and shortened the rules file.

Hehehehe...thanks for that. I have the same problem and was already
working on that.

> Patches are appended, but please handle the dpkg
> -print-gnu-build-architecture --> dpkg-architecture change with care.

I'll be testing this anyway (I'm always banging on binutils).  FYI, for
all of you who ran the testsuite and got a fail for the selective3 test,
it's expected, but not noted in the testsuite as of yet.  Turns out that
the selective3 test is looking at some future garbage collection code
that's already working its way into binutils (it's about time).  Right
now, it's only supported on two architectures (I believe powerpc and
mips), so it fails on all others until they get around to finishing the
support cross-platform.

> The gcc-2.95-0pre2 in Incoming is built with the old binutils.

Ok.  I'll apply the patch and test this one.  If all goes well, I'll
upload a new package tomorrow.  Thanks for the leg-work on this one.