Re: TeX Live 2022

Hi Hilmar,

> now that TL 2022 has been released, I'd start packaging.

Great!

> I'm not sure, why the make-orig oft texlive-bin needs an svn repository.

Because I did pull intermediate releases at times, not the original
sources. The reason was, when we are between two Debian releases, we
know that the *next* year's TL will go into the next Debian release, so
we can be a bit *less* cautious with texlive-bin and pull new stuff.

Also, sometimes the branchYYYY gets security/critical updates.

So I usually did this, but feel free to use a different approach.

> The only purpose I see is to write the revision number into the name of
> orig.tar.gz. Instead I decided to download the source from e.g. [1] and

No, it also *copies* the files from $svnroot! So that is more than the
revision number.
	echo "copying"
	cp -a $svnroot $verstr
	rm -rf $verstr/inst
	rm -rf $verstr/Work
	# packaged separately:
	rm -rf $verstr/utils/biber
	rm -rf $verstr/utils/asymptote
	rm -rf $verstr/utils/xindy
	rm -rf $verstr/utils/ps2eps
	rm -rf $verstr/utils/t1utils
	# irrelevant for sources on Linux, Win32 only
	# don't remove the source, automake checks for these files in reautoconf!
	find $verstr -name \*.dll -o -name \*.exe | xargs rm

> determine the revision number from the web svn access [2]. The date
> stamp is the date of the release not the current date:

Feel free to use whatever you want, I usually used the svn version and
the time stamp when I did build the orig.tar.

> Let me know if this was done correctly. If yes, I'd put the orig.tar.gz
> to our upstream branch and upload everything to experimental. Of course
> the tl-nonbin would need an update too, which would run about the same time.

I think what you did is fine, and will work. And if there is no
intermediate update to .orig.tar, then there remains nothing to do I
guess.

So yes, go ahead!

Best

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live