Re: texlive-extra: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 5:21 AM Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > could you please have a look at this bug soon? texlive-science is the
>
> Well, I will upload some packages at some point in the future, which

can this be very soon instead?

> simply upgrades all py2 to py3 deps, not taking into consideration
> whether the actual files/scripts support/can be used with Py3.

it sounds a bit reckless but you're maintainer, you know whats best
for your package.

> We are talking about 10000+ files to be checked, and the gratious
> deprecation of Py2 creates a bit of problems in TeX, where packages
> that have been written 20 years ago are **still** in use, despite
> not having a maintainer.

it's not the first time you mention this, but that wont make it any
truer. Python2 is dead upstream *and* will be removed, something
written 20 years ago will have to be upgraded or removed (that's just
how IT works), and that's the reason why we are a distribution and not
just a bunch of tarballs downloadable from a single source: we
harmonize and organize our packages.

> So, let us happily break all this.

alternatively, you can just actually check what would be broken and
patch it, fix it, remove it.

> I will ignore any bug report against TeX Live packages concerning
> Python henceforth.

it's unfortunate you decided to react this way, but that wont stop the
py2removal effort from continuing, including on TeX Live packages

Regards,
--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/