Re: new RC bug in texlive-base and transition to testing

Hi Julien,

you are a bit late, I have requested an unblock of the packages
under discussion in #853974 which was granted and the packages
under discussion have migrated to testing.
The packages (-2) that fix all these problems are in unstable,
and after the 10 days period I will ask for another unblock
via reportbug.

Thanks

Norbert

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 19:19:18 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
> > Dear Release Team,
> >
> > recently (within the 10 day transition period) a RC bug (853119) has
> > surfaced for texlive-base, which causes FTBFS of other packages.
> > The reason is that the update requires adjusted dependencies as
> > we need to pull in now fonts-lmodern.
> >
> > (Technical detail: The change was to switch to a dedicate Unicode
> > font encoding by default on lualatex and xelatex to better support
> > non-ascii writing. Thus, the default font is not anymore the
> > CMR fonts shipped in texlive-base, but the lmodern fonts, whose
> > otf variants are shipped in fonts-lmodern and which are thus necessary
> > for processing some documents when using xelatex or lulalatex).
> >
> > I am a bit in doubt how to proceed here, as there are a few options:
> > * forget about getting the current packages into testing
> > 	This is of course an option, and would not hurt too much
> > 	but at least a bit.
>
> Yes.
>
> > * downgrade the RC bug to allow for transition in three days, then
> > 	upload fixed packages (also fixing a in-fact-RC bug
> > 	that was filed as important by Andreas Beckmann concerning
> > 	messed up replaces/breaks, bug 852599)
>
> No.
>
> > * upload a new package fixing the above two bugs now, and ask
> > 	straight ahead for a transition?
> >
> Yes.  (Possibly by undoing the change causing 853119 rather than making
> yet more changes.)
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer