Re: figure and "here"

Hi Martin,

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>     \begin{figure}[here]

This is and was always incorrect syntax. THe argument string to
begin figure consists of *one*character* codes that specify
positions. 'e' and 'r' are not assigned, but up to 2014 release
the LaTeX kernel did not warn about mistyped specifiers, which
can be problematic if one mistypes a specifier.

The LaTeX News file (entry for May 2014)
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/latex/base/ltnews.pdf
states:

	Misspelled float placement specifiers such as
	\begin{figure}[tv] instead of tb are silently
	ignored by the kernel code. Now we test for such
	letters and issue an error message.

I personally have *never* seen 'here' anywhere in the code,
and I think it is a good time that this errors are fixed.

> Do you know if that was removed on purpose?

See above, nothing removed, just errors are issued for mistyped
specifiers, which is good behaviour.

All the best

GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13