Re: All those useless bugs in the TeX Live packages

Hi Frank,

On Di, 28 Mai 2013, Frank Küster wrote:
> > Reasons for closing are:
> > * upupstream bugs (so not TeX Live but the original author)
> >   example: package foobar does not do this or that
> >   example: package foo and package bar don't work together
> >   how to proceed: please contact the original author, or one
> >     of the support channels like tex.stackexchange.com, comp.text.tex
> >     or your local TeX guru
>
> Sounds sensible, however there is a caveat regarding future bugs: this
> kind might turn out as a missing Dependency in the TeXLive

A general problem, which will also never be solved. Dependencies
in LaTeX packages are most of the time not strict. Add some options
and suddenly you need many more packages.

Some dependencies are strict, though, I agree, and we try to keep
that somehow working in TeX Live (upstream), but we never promised
that it actually works.

That is the reason we recommend everyone to install *texlive* the whole.

> bugs, in the first reply, but give them some attention.  If the
> answer(s) reveal that it's just an upstream bug, or there is no answer,
> close after some days.

Agreed.

> Only later was I involved in packaging.  So just this type of bugs may
> also be an easy task for newcomers.  If we close them now, this is okay,
> but we should advertise that this is not the typical Debian way (it
> isn't), and that we welcome people to deal with them.

I would like to have seen *one* person standing up to this since I joined,
but we are the same group since ever, right? Besides new people taking
responsability for new packages under the umbrella here, nobody but
the usual "old ones" here have ever taken any action since ... since 2005?