Re: TL2012 status 2012-02-28

Hi Frank,

On Di, 28 Feb 2012, Frank Küster wrote:
> Seems still to be broken - there's no update-texmf in v3/scripts (and
> hence texlive-binaries' postinst fails).  Can we just copy it from

What fails there? Here it does not fail, or did you try to *upgrade*.

> /etc/texmf/texmf.d is completely gone from tex-commmon. Is that on
> purpose?  Not that I would argue STRONGLY in favor of that, but I'd
> argue much against a transition away from it.

Yes, I want to get ri of practically everything in /etc/texmf, it
is a pain in managing, and libkpathsea already supports stacked
texmf.cnf, so dropping a texmf.cnf with *only* the changed files
into /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf will work.

In the long run it will give up a much easier system.
Same is with updmap.cfg, where updmap.d is completely gone.

And if I manage I want to rewrite fmtutil script, too, and make it
worke in a stacked way, too, reading all fmtutil.cnf it can find.

Why are you strongly *against* transition away form it?

I would propose a adical approach: move everything into a
DISABLED dir and tell the admin he should move changes to a new
texmf.cnf.

Come on, *nobody* changes texmf.cnf anyway, why keep it there?!?!

But I am open for suggestions.

SLOGARIE (n.)
Hillwalking dialect for the seven miles of concealed rough moorland
which lie between what you though was the top of the hill and what
actually is.