Re: TL2011 - now is the time to chime in!

Hi Marc,

On Fr, 29 Jul 2011, Marc J. Driftmeyer wrote:
> this discussion on SVN vs. Git with the LLVM Repository goals.

Ok did it now. Without much effect.
I had the very similar discussion on the git mailing list when
I asked about linear version numbers we *absolutely* need for
upstream TeX Live (the revision of the files determine the package
version number on a daily basis, so we cannot have branches etc).

I myself know very well the *advantages* of git, as I am using it
and would myself be happy to have git for TeX Live uptream, esp
due to local commits.

But I don't see *any* advantage in converting debian-tex-maint to
git. It only creates work that *who* is doing? Me.
How many people actually commit to the svn? Just to give you an idea:
Concerning texlive2009 packaging:
The following people have committed with the respective amount of
commits:
aelmahmoudy-guest	7
frank			402
frn			7
hilmar-guest		25
jhr			2
preining		693

Frank is not interested in learning git at the moment due to time
limits. I am not really convinced, Hilmar didn't comment.

The whole point here is NOT git <-> svn, it is that hardly anyone
takes the time and interest and energy to work himself into the
packaging and try to understand it.

There git will not help, unfortunately.

We need people who *DO*WORK*, not talk talk talk talk without doing
anything.

DALRYMPLE (n.)
Dalarymples are the things you pay extra for on pieces of hand-made
craftwork - the rough edges, the paint smudges and the holes in the
glazing.