Re: TL2011 - now is the time to chime in!

Hi all,

I'm still on vacation and, due to quite a few so far unforseen reasons,
I'm not sure about my involvement in Debian matters right now. I'm not
going to go MIA but I'm not sure if getting more responsibilities is the
right way to go now either.. Since I'm trying to catch up a bit, just a
short technical thing here:

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 02:20:18PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Di, 26 Jul 2011, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > ok, I decided to do a complete clean start, with nothing but
> > empty directories, and slowly built up in small and manageable
> > scripts how to make distributions.
>
> And stopped after some time.
>
> Now I have copied 2009 and I am working on getting a first
> version ready. At least som scripts are by now running.
>
> Frank, all, please don't do any development for now on the tl2009,
> or remember from which svn revision on you made changes, so that we
> can merge them later on into the 2011 part.

Well, there you have one very good technical reason for git. While
subversion can mess up merging even in small projects, git scales well
with big small and big ones (like this).

That being said, a migration is always painful and some work. I
suggested a switch to git after Norbert mentioned a clean start. That
would mean no migration and thus not much loss. The old repositories can
stay while the clean start just sits in new ones. If, however, a
migration is necessary, it's more complicated.

I think, -tex-maint can profit from features git offers -- such being
cleaner histories, proper merging, local branches etc. I'm generally
here to help, though my statement above still stands.

Sorry, I can't do more at this time.

Hauke
(on VAC until sunday, then catching up with work stuff)

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de
: :'  :  Debian Developer                                 www.debian.org