Re: Debian package for PGF 2.10

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) wrote:

Hi Faheem

On 27 February 2011 09:59, Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

PGF 2.10 packages for Debian are not yet available, It doesn't look too
difficult to package, based on the 2.0 packaging. If nobody else is planning
to do it, I might give it a shot. However, I'll need some assistance. Anyone
willing to help with answers to questions etc?

I'm willing to help you.  Have you contacted the original maintainer
Makoto OHURA if he's planning an update?

BR

Hi Danai,

Ohura-san is planning an update, yes. See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=606128

Actually, I just built the package with a few minor changes to the 2.0 Debian packaging.

Lintian reports the following errors/warnings.

faheem@orwell:/usr/local/src/pgf$ lintian pgf_2.10-0_all.deb

E: pgf: debian-revision-should-not-be-zero 2.10-0
W: pgf: doc-base-abstract-field-is-template pgf:6
W: pgf: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pgf/math/pgfmathutil.code.tex W: pgf: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pgf/math/pgfmathcalc.code.tex
W: pgf: executable-not-elf-or-script
./usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pgf/math/pgfmathparser.code.tex
W: pgf: maintainer-script-empty preinst
W: pgf: command-with-path-in-maintainer-script postinst:24 /usr/bin/mktexlsr
W: pgf: maintainer-script-empty prerm
W: pgf: command-with-path-in-maintainer-script postrm:25 /usr/bin/mktexlsr

1) The first is just my non-standard numbering.

2) The executable-not-elf-or-script presumably mean that these files shouldn't be executable? It is true that these three files under that directory are executable, but the rest aren't. Probably an unstream issue.

3) debian-revision-should-not-be-zero refers to http://lintian.debian.org/tags/doc-base-abstract-field-is-template.html

I guess this refers to /usr/share/doc-base/pgf and specifically the description field. Ie.

Document: pgf
Title: User s Guide to the PGF Package, Version
Author: Till Tantau <tantau@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Abstract: This manual describes what pgf is
 and how it can be used to
 manage online manuals on Debian systems.

Possibly the Title should be

User's Guide to the PGF Package, Version 2.10

and the Abstract something like

Abstract: Guide for usage of PGF and TikZ.

Not sure what one should say here.

4) maintainer-script-empty preinst (ditto for prerm)
refers to http://lintian.debian.org/tags/maintainer-script-empty.html

So preinst and prerm should be removed?

5) command-with-path-in-maintainer-script? This refers to http://lintian.debian.org/tags/command-with-path-in-maintainer-script.html. Should one just use mktexlsr then?

I tried using the package and it seems to work ok.

However

texdoctk pgf

does not work.

Running just

texdoctk

and then searching for pgf brings up a window, but when I click on it I get an error. So I must have done something wrong here.

Ohura-san, please consider mentioning TikZ in your package description. See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=509602

                                                       Regards, Faheem