debian-specific texinfo problem

Hello noble debian tex volunteers,
Following is my report of a texinfo issue,
then Karl Berry's response.
I hope this is helpful.
Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine (949) 891-2429 :)

My report:

Hi All,

The words "\input texinfo" have started to appear at the top of the
HTML and PDF versions of my TeXInfo files. Obviously this is the
first line of my .texi source file. Sometime in the last year (or
two?) these words began to appear. The rest of the HTML and PDF output
appear to be fine. Either a bug crept into my .texi source, or the
.texi processing routines changed. Not sure which. How do I keep the
"\input texinfo" from appearing in the HTML and PDF output?

The source and output files are at

http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.texi
http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.pdf
http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.html

Source was processed on fully patched Ubuntu Jaunty machine using

makeinfo --html --ifinfo --no-split --output=nco.html nco.texi
texi2dvi --pdf nco.texi;

Thanks,
Charlie

Karl Berry's response:

Hi Charlie,

    The words "\input texinfo" have started to appear at the top of the

Since there haven't been any releases of Texinfo since September 2008, I
can only imagine that it is a change introduced by
Ubuntu/Debian/whomever.  Certainly this is not a bug present for
everyone, or I would have heard about it long before now!

All I can tell you is that when I run your nco.texi through the current
texinfo.tex and the 4.13 makeinfo, there is no "\input texinfo" in the
output.  (I ignored the errors about my-bib-macros ...)

To debug, you could try the texi2dvi from the Texinfo CVS repository, or
from the texinfo-4.13a.tar.gz distribution on ftp.gnu.org.  Or run
pdftex directly.

Good luck,
Karl

P.S. It is bizarre that both PDF output (from texinfo.tex) and HTML
output (from makeinfo) are affected.  Perhaps the bug is in Ubuntu's
makeinfo and texi2dvi is running the makeinfo that introduces the text.
Or something.