Re: Status of #350992, #368731?

retitle 350992 TeX Policy and TeXLive packages disagree on TEXMFMAIN usage
reassign 350992 texlive-base
thanks

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

> Hi Frank.
>
> As you've noticed I'm chasing old bugs. These bugs describes that
> tetex-bin installs files into the wrong place. As tetex-bin is gone I
> simply suggest to close them.
>
> What do you think?

Hm. The second one says:

,----
| As discussed previously, /usr/share/texmf/web2c/* probably must stay,
| but the dvips, xdvi, and perhaps texconfig subdirectories can move to
| TEXMFDIST.
`----

This still applies, at least for texconfig (which is why I reassigned to
tl-base).  The older one points to the fact that when tetex or texlive
install files in TEXMFMAIN, this is a violation of our own policy.

We also say in policy that we intentionally diverge from what upstream
does - so that is not an argument.

I have no strong feelings here, and I think there are much more
important things than to care for this now. I don't think we should just
close it, though.

Debian Developer (TeXLive)
VCD Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg, ADFC Miltenberg
B90/Grüne KV Miltenberg