Re: The horrible infinite-loop detected bug

On 20.12.09 Norbert Preining (preining@logic.at) wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Hilmar Preuße wrote:

Hi,

> > analyse any log file. I just believe: if these four offending lines
> > are in the fmtutil.cnf when fmtutil-sys is called (and
> > texlive-base-bin has been removed) the update-fmtutil did not
> > work/was not executed. I think we should find out why update-fmtutil
> > did not update fmtutil.cnf correctly instead of trying to built work
> > arounds as they just hide bugs.
>
> It is not a problem of update-fmt, but a *double* definition of
> formats which is interpreted as infinite loop in fmtutil (which is
> a bug by itself).  It has nothing to do with the update-fmtutil
> stuff at all.

I see the double definitions and I see where the come from: the
update-fmtutil call still reads 10texlive-base-bin.cnf and writes the
content to fmtutil.cnf, hence these double lines are in the
fmtutil.cnf. The question is: why does update-fmtutil read the file
10texlive-base-bin.cnf? At the time of the regeneration of
fmtutil.cnf /var/lib/tex-common/fmtutil-cnf/texlive-base-bin.list
should be already gone (b/c texlive-base-bin hase been removed) and
hence 10texlive-base-bin.cnf should be ignored even if it is still
present.

Hilnar, hoping he understands the implementation correctly.
--
I find this corpse guilty of carrying a concealed weapon and I fine it $40.
		-- Judge Roy Bean, finding a pistol and $40 on a man he'd